National Park Trust sponsored the second annual national classroom contest encouraging children to create their own KTP Day event. The three main goals for the contest are:
• To engage children with the health and wellness benefits of outdoor park recreation
• To learn about the unique science, history etc. about the park
• To inspire a generation of conservation leaders and stewards that will take action to protect their parks
Winning schools were awarded scholarships to implement their park trips; each scholarship includes funding for transportation, if needed. Winners participated in a variety of park activities including hiking, canoeing, and service and art projects. Many of the scholarship recipients are from underserved communities.
• 42 scholarships awarded serving 1683 students in grades PreK-12th
• KTP student led events planned in 21 states and Washington, DC