About National Park Trust
National Park Trust’s mission is to preserve parks today and develop park stewards for tomorrow. Our vision is that everyone should experience the endless possibilities of parks. Since 1983, Park Trust programs have advanced public parks, lands, and waters as spaces that are welcoming and accessible to every person in every community. We believe that public parks, lands, and waters should be cared for, enjoyed by, and preserved by all for current and future generations.
National Park Trust is looking for a self-motivated and talented Communications Intern who is creative and loves storytelling to assist with the organization’s overall communications portfolio. This position is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in marketing and communications for a national nonprofit organization.
The Communications Intern is an important member of the Communications team and is responsible for assisting with creating informative and innovative online content, implementing a robust social media strategy, and creating digital graphics. The ideal candidate must be able to multi-task, work both in team and independent settings, and have excellent writing, presentation, and organizational skills. Candidates should also have a passion for parks and public lands or a willingness to gain a deeper connection with the outdoors.
This internship is ideally based in the Washington D.C. area. A remote internship will be considered based in the applicant and experience. The current status for the National Park Trust office is a hybrid schedule of “working from home” and coming into the office at least one day a week. In addition to communications, the intern will gain exposure to a full range of activities for a small national nonprofit organization, from general management to program administration. This position will run from May 16th through August 19th.
- Work closely with the Director of Strategic Partnerships & Communications, Communications Coordinator, Programs Coordinator, and PR and digital strategy consultants to execute the Park Trust’s comprehensive communications strategy.
- Draft engaging, timely, and dynamic storytelling content and copy for the newsletter and website that is relevant and consistent with the Park Trust’s program, branding, and communication goals.
- Assist with developing and managing social media content for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and TikTok.
- Assist with managing data and resources connected to our ParkPassport mobile app.
- Assist in the development of the monthly editorial calendar, researching current news, industry trends, relevant upcoming cultural moments to incorporate, and topics relevant to public lands.
- Perform some video editing and curation.
- Assist with operational aspects of Kids to Parks Day working closely with the Communications team.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A passion for the Park Trust’s mission and vision
- A strong interest and proficiency in social media platforms (including TikTok and Instagram)
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills (written, phone, and in-person)
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to work in a team or independently as needed
- Pays close attention to detail
- Flexible and able to problem solve under pressure
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Proficient in Google Workspace and GSuite products
This is a 24 hour per week unpaid volunteer position; however, National Park Trust will be offering a stipend to cover living expenses and commuting. Internship stipends issued by the National Park Trust are not considered salary or meant as compensation but are awarded to help defray living expenses for an intern during the term of their appointment. The stipend amount will depend on the length of the approved internship.
This position requires some physical exertion including lifting items up to 25-45 lbs. on occasion.