National Park Trust (parktrust.org) is seeking a dynamic, energetic, and creative Director of Development (DD) to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward current and new donors who are passionate about our national parks. The DD will work closely with the Executive Director and the Board and must have strong interpersonal and organizational skills that will be critical in the execution and expansion of our current fundraising strategy. This strategy includes individual donor gifts, family foundation grants, corporate foundation grants/sponsorships, and planned giving.
Responsibilities will include: 1) supporting all of the board’s outreach to donor prospects, 2) researching individual donors and foundations, 3) cultivating current donors and donor prospects through events and individual meetings/calls, 4) preparing grant proposals, 5) stewarding supporters, 6) record keeping of all outreach and board support efforts, 7) preparing reports for development committee calls and board meetings, and 8) overall management of the Park Trust’s fundraising programs.
The Park Trust’s mission is “we preserve parks today and create park stewards for tomorrow.” Our vision is that “everyone should experience the endless possibilities of our parks”. Since 1983, the National Park Trust, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, has been working with the National Park Service and other partners to protect our national parks. We do this by acquiring critically important private lands to complete our national parks, and by introducing a new generation of young people to our parks, our future caretakers of these resources.
Our new Director of Development will focus on raising resources for both our lands acquisition work and our national Buddy Bison Programs which supports hundreds of Title I schools in connecting kids from under-served communities with our public lands and waters.
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Director of Strategic Partnerships, Director of Finance and Administration, Park Projects Director, Director of Youth Programs, and Operations and Administrative Manager.
Director of Development candidates should be:
- A strong writer and communicator — effective storyteller a must! This includes writing compelling emails, direct mail letters, donor acknowledgements, grant proposals, brochures, Annual Report content, event invitations — as well as assisting our communications team with digital content
- Able to juggle several projects at one time, work independently and meet deadlines
- Eager to build relationships by talking to/meeting with donors, donor prospects and board members
- A collaborator who enjoys working closely with a close-knit, dedicated team
- Goal oriented with strong attention to detail in all work
- Able to provide effective support to the Executive Director in her development work as well as other staff in their development efforts
- Able to think creatively, generate new ideas, and be open to new ideas from others
- Willing to attend networking and professional development events to develop peer contacts in the community
- Able to anticipate what is needed and be proactive in finding solutions
- Eager to learn from others on the team and externally, in addition to sharing their knowledge and experience
- Willing to pitch in and help others when needed
- Skilled in Excel, Adobe Creative Suite, powerpoint, and HTML, a plus.
A Bachelor’s degree is required. Some travel is also required. Salary will be commensurate with experience. National Park Trust is located in Rockville, MD. During the pandemic, this staff member will work remotely until the office is open in Maryland.
Candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.