Job Title: Education Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Youth Programs
About National Park Trust
Preserving Parks Today: Since 1983, National Park Trust (parktrust.org) has worked to enhance our nation’s system of parks, completing more than 100 park preservation projects in 33 states and Washington, D.C.
Creating Park Stewards for Tomorrow: With the Centennial of the National Park Service in 2016, NPT has the unique opportunity to engage thousands of under-served youth with our national parks through our Buddy Bison School Program and national grassroots movement, Kids to Parks Day.
NPT seeks an Education Coordinator to support our Director of Youth Programs and Youth Programs Managers with the national expansion of our Buddy Bison School Program and grassroots movement Kids to Parks Day. Candidates must have a passion for parks, outdoor recreation and enjoy working with and teaching young students. A strong science and technology background is a plus. Candidates should also have strong writing and communication skills and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously -- with attention to details and deadlines. Familiarity with web development and coding, particularly Joomla, is a plus.
Those with previous teaching experience are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a new seasonal full time position for 3 months with the opportunity for becoming a full time, permanent position.
Youth Education Programs (up to 60%)
Assist with all aspects of NPT’s youth programs, including the Buddy Bison School Program and Kids to Parks Day:
- Coordinate Buddy Bison School program development, program implementation, and park trips coordination.
- Work with NPT staff, teachers, schools and program partners nationwide.
- Contact and follow up with teachers and education partners by phone and email.
- Assist in planning and execution of all aspects of Kids to Parks Day including communication with elected officials, parks, schools, program and national partners.
- Assist in development of education and communications materials including school/teacher resources and classroom toolkits.
- Represent NPT and work with schools at local and national park trips; this requires travel.
Website/Communications Management (35%)
- Maintain and update student centered websites including buddybison.org and kidstoparks.org.
- Upload and keep current all photo sets from school trips and events.
- Use social media to enhance NPT’s visibility and reach to schools and families.
- Write and edit youth programs web content.
Board and Organizational Development (5%)
- Assist Director of Youth Programs in preparing reports and communications for the Board of Trustees, Executive Director and Chief Development Officer.
- Maintain and update education materials in database
- Passion for parks and the outdoors.
- Passion for working with under-served students.
- Strong communication skills (written, phone and in-person) including emails, newsletters articles, press releases, website content, meetings reports, and social media.
- Teaching experience is desired but not mandatory.
- Self-starter, able to multitask and maintain high level of professionalism at all times.
- Familiarity with web development, coding, particularly Joomla, a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter).
- Basic Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator skills.
- Ability to work in a team or independently, as needed.
- Excellent organizational skills, able to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Willing to be flexible with hours depending on needs of the organization including travel.
*We offer a friendly, informal and progressive work environment. This position is located in Rockville, MD and is metro accessible.
Please submit cover letter and resume to HR@parktrust.org.