Salary: Anticipated salary for this role is $40,000 to $45,000, depending on experience. References will be requested.
Job Type: Full-time, regular staff member
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Rockville, MD
Work Type: In office
About National Park Trust
National Park Trust’s mission is to preserve parks today and develop park stewards for tomorrow. We work closely with the National Park Service to acquire important privately owned lands to expand and complete our national parks. Our creative and innovative programs advance public parks, lands, and waters as spaces that are welcoming and accessible to every person in every community. We believe that our public parks, lands, and waters should be cared for, enjoyed by, and preserved by all for current and future generations.
We are looking for a dynamic and energetic Administrative Assistant to support the Park Trust’s rapidly growing programs and office operations. This new staff member will provide administrative support for the Executive Director, Board of Trustees, and general support for the office, coordinate a variety of event logistics and assist with the production of communication and fundraising efforts. This position is perfect for someone looking to learn about nonprofit activities and functions. This is a full-time, permanent position that reports to the Executive Director.
Detailed Position Description
- Oversee Executive Director’s calendar, scheduling, expense reports, and travel.
- Schedule meetings and related logistics for the board, staff, and partners. This will include conference calls and in-person meetings.
- Coordinate office procedures, including overall scheduling, distributing mail, and checking general voicemail and email boxes.
- Oversee office services (drinking water, phone/internet, office maintenance), equipment maintenance (postage machine, copier/scanner) & supply inventory
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Schedule and coordinate all aspects of board meetings and calls. Tasks include:
- Compilation and distribution of all meeting materials
- Taking meeting minutes
- Plan and support two annual in-person board meetings working with the executive director, including:
- Scheduling and booking lodging for all Board members and senior staff and travel for the executive director
- Coordinating or organizing logistics for board meetings, including meals and activities
- Reviewing vendor contracts
- Creation and distribution of all meeting materials
- Taking meeting minutes
- Creating spreadsheets for tracking board meeting expenses to support the director of finance and administration
- Support and facilitate the logistics of cultivation and fundraising events, including the annual Vento Award Event. Tasks include:
- Booking the venue and caterers and reviewing contracts
- Communication with vendors
- Setting up for events
- Generating guest lists
- Facilitating event mailings
- Tracking RSVPs
- Creating name tags
- Assistance with donor/guest check-in
- Deposit checks using remote technology
- Support Director of Finance & Administration with vendor billing data entry in QuickBooks Online accounting system and other assistance, if needed.
- Support production of the Annual Report by working with the communications team.
- Support Finance and Development in coordinating state employee campaign application forms and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) annual applications via our third-party portal, including maintaining schedules for renewal and gathering of relevant information for applications.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum High School or Associate’s Degree with 1 or more years of non-profit experience in operations or administration.
- A passion for the Park Trust’s mission and vision.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
- Good communication skills (written, phone, and in-person). Written documents will include email communications to the board, staff, and partners.
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail are a must!
- Ability to adhere to and enforce deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team or independently as needed.
- Self-starter, ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Flexible and able to problem solve under pressure.
- Experience with donor databases and/or Quickbooks preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel spreadsheets.
- Proficient in Google Workspace and GSuite products.
- Comfortable assisting with basic IT troubleshooting.
- Willing to be flexible with hours depending on the needs of the organization, including out-of-state travel for board meetings, if needed.
Due to work with youth and families:
- All staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. National Park Trust provides reasonable accommodations for medical reasons and sincerely held religious beliefs consistent with legal requirements.
- The candidate must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check.
- Some physical exertion, including light outdoor activities.
- Lifting items up to 25-40 lbs.
- Driver’s license and use of a car.
- Local and overnight travel will be required.
- 401(k) plan with a 5% company match
- Health and dental insurance with a vision program
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance and short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Vacation, sick leave, and observance of all federal holidays
How to Apply
PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING TO HUMAN RESOURCES AT HR@PARKTRUST.ORG:
- Cover letter explaining why you are interested in working at the National Park Trust and what you hope to contribute to the position and organization.
- This is a full-time position with the expectation to be in the Park Trust’s Rockville office each day.
National Park Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment. We seek diversity in thought, background, and experience among our staff, Board of Trustees, donors, and partners. Diversity within our organization informs our programming, strengthens our partnerships, and enables us to serve diverse stakeholders and communities effectively. National Park Trust follows all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding non-discriminatory hiring and employment practices. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.