Salary: Anticipated salary for this role is approximately $50,000
Job Type: Full-time, regular staff member
Reports to: Director of Strategic Partnerships & Communications
Location: Rockville, MD
Work Type: Hybrid – The expectations for this position range from full-time in-office work to a blend of remote and in-office work, depending on the needs of the Park Trust
About National Park Trust
National Park Trust’s mission is to preserve parks today and develop park stewards for tomorrow. We work closely with the National Park Service to acquire important privately owned lands to expand and complete our national parks. Our creative and innovative programs advance public parks, lands, and waters as spaces that are welcoming and accessible to every person in every community. We believe that our public parks, lands, and waters should be cared for, enjoyed by, and preserved by all for current and future generations.
We are looking for a dynamic and energetic Communications Coordinator to support the Park Trust’s rapidly growing communications initiatives. Leading candidates should be strategic and creative digital thinkers with excellent writing/editing, project management, and visual design skills. Candidates should also have a solid understanding of and passion for marketing, traditional media, and the digital world. This staff member will support the Director of Strategic Partnerships & Communications in a broad range of duties, working together to expand the reach and impact of the National Park Trust brand.
The Communications Coordinator’s primary duties will include creating informative, innovative, and online storytelling content, implementing a robust social media strategy, writing press releases and blog/articles, creating digital graphics, and assisting with media opportunities to share our organization’s impact, programs, and services. This staff member will also work closely with our youth & family programs, lands, finance, and development team members on various aspects of their work.
Marketing & Promotion
- Assist with executing and developing the Park Trust’s comprehensive communications strategy.
- Create and share engaging, timely, and dynamic storytelling content and copy to distribute across various communication platforms and channels.
- Work within MailChimp to set up and send emails, newsletters, and other promotional content.
- Post blogs, videos, and other stories, and make general website updates as needed.
- Track and record digital platform & audience analytics.
- Manage photo and video libraries.
- Create informative video content for donors/partners.
- Assist with promotion & marketing efforts connected to signature events and programs.
- Create production and promotion timelines for marketing and promotional materials & initiatives.
- Coordinate and assist with event planning as needed.
- Serve as the organization’s social media lead and carry out a holistic social media strategy to achieve organizational goals and enhance the organization’s overall content strategy.
- Craft clever, compelling, and storytelling social posts for the Park Trust’s leading platforms that market the organization’s mission and priorities and encourages action.
- Actively listen, respond, and engage our audience on social media platforms, looking for opportunities to insert our mission and messages into relevant conversations.
- Manage online community by monitoring and cultivating online conversations with audiences and providing timely responses to incoming queries.
- Keep informed of new social media features, trends, and channels and evaluate which tools and channels are most effective for our goals, creating or evolving guidelines for use as necessary.
- Closely monitor social media platforms, website analytics, and content performance, compiling reports that interpret the data.
- Create engaging storytelling videos for social media, including TikTok and Instagram Reels.
Supportive Content Strategy and Editorial Work
- Layout and deploy the organization’s monthly e-newsletter, coordinating all necessary reviews and incorporating edits.
- Report on content and newsletter performance and provide input and recommendations on story mediums, subject matter, and more based on performance.
- Research current news, industry trends, and relevant upcoming cultural moments that impact parks, public lands, and waters and incorporate them into ongoing content.
- Design, write, copy-edit, and produce communications materials, including website content, newsletter articles, reports, fact sheets, presentations, printed materials, video scripts, and more.
- Facilitate the development of our Annual Report, including copywriting, design, and production.
- Assist the Director of Strategic Partnerships & Communications with Board and committee meeting materials.
- Have a strong visual and editorial sense and contribute to writing and editing all content across multiple platforms utilizing our Brand Guide.
- Consistently maintain and report on metrics, analyzing the effectiveness of your work while staying up to date with the latest digital media trends and best practices.
- Educate staff and Board in digital media, marketing tools, and techniques to help them understand when and where such techniques will be effective.
- Thoughtful and flexible with a positive, collaborative, roll-up-your-sleeves, can-do attitude in a fast-paced non-profit environment.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, ideally with a degree in Communications, Marketing, Parks and Recreation, Environmental Science, or a related field.
- 1-2 years of non-profit experience in communications/marketing.
- Passion for the Park Trust’s mission and programs.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, GSuite, Adobe Creative Suite, Mailchimp, Canva, and WordPress is required.
- Experience and comfortability with Google Analytics are preferred.
- Proven professional experience using social media platforms (including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and LinkedIn) to engage online audiences and communicate organizational priorities.
- Proven experience with video creation and content development.
- Exceptional communications and editing skills – written, verbal, and visual.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Comfortable interacting with board members and external audiences in person and virtual meetings.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Flexibility to accomplish job responsibilities in several work environments, in-person or remotely.
- Ability to work effectively with a team or independently and meet deadlines efficiently.
- Self-starter, with attention to detail.
Due to work with youth and families:
- All staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. National Park Trust provides reasonable accommodations for medical reasons and sincerely held religious beliefs consistent with legal requirements.
- The candidate must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check.
- Some physical exertion, including light outdoor activities.
- Lifting items up to 25-45 lbs.
- Driver’s license and occasional use of a car.
- Local and overnight travel may be required.
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Health and dental insurance with a vision program
- Life insurance and short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Vacation, sick leave, and observance of all federal holidays
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing samples to email@example.com by September 16th.
National Park Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment. We seek diversity in thought, background, and experience among our staff, Board of Trustees, donors, and partners. Diversity within our organization informs our programming, strengthens our partnerships, and enables us to serve diverse stakeholders and communities effectively. National Park Trust follows all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding non-discriminatory hiring and employment practices. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.