Salary: Anticipated salary for this role is approximately $50,000
Job Type: Full-time, regular staff member
Reports to: Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships
Location: Rockville, MD
Work Type: Hybrid – The expectations for this position range from full-time in-office work to a blend of remote and in-office work, depending on the needs of the Park Trust
About National Park Trust
National Park Trust’s mission is to preserve parks today and cultivate park stewards for tomorrow. We work closely with the National Park Service to acquire privately owned lands to expand and complete our national parks. In addition, our youth and family programs support our belief that our public parks, lands, and waters should be cared for, enjoyed by, and preserved by all for current and future generations.
We are seeking a dynamic and energetic full-time Communications Coordinator to support the Park Trust’s rapidly growing communications initiatives. Candidates should be strategic, collaborative, creative, and flexible, with an eagerness to work in a fast-paced nonprofit that gets things done!
Candidates must have strong demonstrated writing skills and possess a core knowledge of marketing, traditional media, and the digital world. This staff member will support the Director of Strategic Partnerships & Communications.
The Communications Coordinator’s primary duties are to write informative, innovative, and online storytelling content; implement a robust social media strategy; draft press releases, blogs, and newsletter articles; create digital graphics; and assist with media opportunities to share our organization’s impact, programs, and services. This staff member will also work closely with our communications consultants and other programs and development staff on various aspects of their work.
- Assist with developing and executing the Park Trust’s comprehensive communications strategy.
- Write engaging, timely, and dynamic storytelling content copy and post across all company communication platforms and channels.
- Track and record digital platform & audience analytics.
- Manage and organize company photo and video libraries.
- Create informative video content for donors/partners.
- Assist with promotion, design & marketing efforts for development events and programs including emails, flyers, invitations, and brochures.
- Create production timelines for marketing and promotional materials & initiatives.
Social Media Expectations
- Serve as the organization’s social media lead and carry out a holistic strategy to achieve the Park Trust’s goals.
- Craft clever and compelling storytelling social posts for the Park Trust’s platforms.
- Actively listen, respond, and engage our audience on social media platforms, looking for opportunities to insert our mission and messages into relevant conversations.
- Manage online communities by monitoring and cultivating online conversations with audiences and providing timely responses to incoming queries.
- Keep informed of new social media features, trends, and channels and evaluate which tools and channels are most effective for our goals.
- Closely monitor social media platforms, website analytics, and content performance, compiling reports that interpret the data.
- Provide ideas for improving engagement.
Content Strategy and Editorial Expectations
- Design, write, copy-edit, and produce various communications materials, including website content (infographics, blogs, press releases, and videos) and the monthly e-newsletter.
- Keep abreast of current news, industry trends, and relevant upcoming cultural events that impact parks, public lands, and waters and incorporate them into content.
- Facilitate the production of our Annual Report, including content creation, design, and editing.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Passion for the Park Trust’s mission.
- 1-2 years of non-profit experience in communications/marketing preferred.
- Strong writing skills are essential for writing blogs, press releases, newsletters, social media content, and more.
- Proven professional experience using social media platforms (including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and LinkedIn) to engage online audiences and communicate organizational priorities.
- Expertise in creating attractive graphic design and video content.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, GSuite, Adobe Creative Suite, Mailchimp, Canva, and WordPress is required.
- Experience and comfortability with Google Analytics are preferred.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and adhere to deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with a team or independently
- Self-starter with careful attention to detail
Due to work with youth and families:
- All staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. National Park Trust provides reasonable accommodations for medical reasons and sincerely held religious beliefs consistent with legal requirements.
- The candidate must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check.
- Some physical exertion, including light outdoor activities.
- Lifting items up to 25-45 lbs.
- Driver’s license and occasional use of a car.
- Local and overnight travel may be required.
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Health and dental insurance with a vision program
- Life insurance and short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Vacation, sick leave, and observance of all federal holidays
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing samples to HR@PArktrust.org by September 6th.
National Park Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment. We seek diversity in thought, background, and experience among our staff, Board of Trustees, donors, and partners. Diversity within our organization informs our programming, strengthens our partnerships, and enables us to serve diverse stakeholders and communities effectively. National Park Trust follows all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding non-discriminatory hiring and employment practices. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.