About National Park Trust
National Park Trust’s mission is to preserve parks today and develop park stewards for tomorrow. Our vision is that everyone should experience the endless possibilities of parks. Since 1983, Park Trust programs have advanced public parks, lands, and waters as spaces that are welcoming and accessible to every person in every community. We believe that public parks, lands, and waters should be cared for, enjoyed by, and preserved by all for current and future generations.e National Park Service and other partners to protect our national parks. We do this by acquiring critically important private lands to complete our national parks, and by introducing a new generation of young people to our parks, our future caretakers of these resources.
National Park Trust seeks a CRM Marketing Intern to support the efforts of our Development and Finance departments, helping to increase the effectiveness of fundraising, marketing, and finance efforts. Knowledge is power and knowledge comes from good data. This intern will receive training and gain hands-on experience in project management and popular Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and financial platforms used by thousands of nonprofits and small businesses. The intern will also learn how development intersects with all areas in nonprofit management, from Marketing, Finance and Administration to programs that protect national parks. The Internship can be structured for a specific period of time (best for students looking to focus on career paths in CRM or finance for nonprofits or small businesses) or for a longer-term engagement, increasing the opportunities to gain deeper knowledge of fundraising and nonprofit management.
This is a part-time (16-24 hour/week) paid position in a friendly, informal, and progressive work environment with a small, hardworking fun group of people passionate about parks and kids. This internship is ideally based in the Washington D.C. area. Our office is in Rockville, MD (parking included) is metro rail accessible to the Rockville Station stop on the Red Line. A remote internship will be considered based on the applicant and experience.
The current status for the National Park Trust office is a hybrid schedule of “working from home” and coming into the office at least one day a week. In addition to fundraising, the intern will gain exposure to a full range of activities for a small national nonprofit organization, from general management to program administration.
Detailed Position Description:
CRM/Finance Integration Project: (75%)
National Park Trust is working to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of our Development and Finance areas by integrating our key CRM and Finance platforms (Neon CRM, Neon Pay, and QuickBooks online), eliminating the need for duplication of efforts in recording, tracking, and analysis of donor contributions. The intern will play a key role in the success of the project by:
- Participating in online and hands-on training of platforms to gain knowledge to inform parameters of the project.
- Develop project timeline and milestones; schedule and coordinate ongoing meetings and follow up to support project partners and vendors in meeting deadlines
- Participating in project design meetings
- Documenting integration requirements
- Working with departmental colleagues to devise new workflows for the efficient, timely coding, keying and posting of donations
- Supporting data migration process, ensuring data is cleaned and imported accurately into QuickBooks
Evaluation of other Integration Opportunities: (15%)
Neon One offers integrations with several additional platforms used by the Park Trust, including MailChimp and EventBrite.
- Documenting and implementing interim procedures to manually update data between CRM and email platform
- Evaluating the impact of future integration projects
Administrative Support: (10%)
As a “lean and mean” non-profit, there are times when everyone works together to support programmatic and development projects. Examples include production of in-house mailings, packing materials for fundraising events, etc. as well as other administrative duties as assigned.
What We Are Looking For:
- Detail-oriented and enjoys digging into spreadsheets and data
- Strong project management, organizational, and multi-tasking skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to raise questions and work-through challenges
- Interest in database management and/or accounting
- Proficiency with Google Suite and Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including listening, verbal and written communication, and displaying initiative with projects.
- Ability to work in a team or independently as needed.
- Experience with CRM databases and/or QuickBooks
Students enrolled in or recently graduated from Accounting/Finance, Database Marketing and Business Management programs are highly encouraged to apply, especially those who are motivated to learn about career opportunities in the nonprofit community.
This is an unpaid volunteer position; however, National Park Trust will be offering a stipend to cover living expenses and commuting. Internship stipends issued by the National Park Trust are not considered salary or meant as compensation but are awarded to help defray living expenses for an intern during the term of their appointment. The stipend amount will depend on the length of the approved internship.