About National Park Trust
The National Park Trust’s mission is to preserve parks today and create park stewards for tomorrow. Our vision is that everyone should experience the endless possibilities of our parks. Since 1983, the National Park Trust, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, has been working with the National Park Service and other partners to protect our national parks. We do this by acquiring critically important private lands to complete our national parks, and by introducing a new generation of young people to our parks, our future caretakers of these resources.
Education Coordinator Position Overview
Candidates must have a demonstrated enthusiasm for and ability to lead K-12 students of all backgrounds, identities, and abilities in outdoor learning. Strong interpersonal communication skills are a must for maintaining positive partnerships with stakeholders. Individuals must have the ability to independently manage multiple projects and programs. Candidates must be based in the D.C. metropolitan area; however, this position is currently virtual until COVID-19 restrictions are lifted. Candidates must also have a driver’s license and vehicle, the ability to lift up to 50 lbs, the ability to hike moderately difficult trails (2-3 miles), and the ability to travel to different schools and parks around the country. This is a full-time 40 hour/week, year-round position.
Candidates will work with other members of the youth and family programs team on a number of the Park Trust’s national youth programs, including the Buddy Bison School Program (250+ schools), Kids to Parks Day, and other grant-based park experience programs. The Education Coordinator works directly with teachers of their assigned schools, parks, and other partner organizations to develop, curate, and execute experiential education programs.
Detailed Position Description:
Youth Education Programs (75%)
- Assist in all aspects of the Park Trust’s expanding national outdoor youth education programs.
- Administer and coordinate in-person and virtual park experiences for assigned Buddy Bison schools nationwide. Including facilitating logistics, acting as the program lead with parks, schools, and various program partners, preparing trip informational sheets, and tracking funding use.
- – In-state and out-of-state travel will be required for Buddy Bison school events.
- – Prepare written reports on Buddy Bison trips and maintain clear communication regarding all trip aspects with the Director of Youth Programs.
- Contribute to regularly scheduled youth programs meetings and monthly full staff meetings.
- Develop educational materials including lesson plans, videos, toolkits, and social media posts.
- Assist in the implementation of the annual Kids to Parks Day National School Contest as needed.
Development/Operations/Other Duties (25%)
- Maintain an organized collection of photos, teacher testimonials, student work, and other collateral for use in development and marketing efforts.
- Assist with grant and copywriting as needed.
- Assist Director of Strategic Partnerships with social media content and newsletters, and website updates as needed.
- Assist youth programs team with inventory purchase, stocking, shipments, and tracking.
- Administer Buddy Bison mascot costume rental program, including contract management, scheduling, shipping, and cleaning.
- Assist Director of Youth Programs in preparing materials for board reports and grant reports.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 4-year college degree from an accredited college or university.
- While this is an entry-level position, prior teaching or informal education experience is strongly desired.
- Passion for parks and the outdoors.
- Strong communication skills (written, phone, and in-person). Written documents will include email communications, newsletters, press releases, website content, social media, etc.
- Excellent organization skills, with the ability to multitask and provide attention to details
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well in a team or independently, as needed.
- Creative and open to expressing new ideas to improve programming and troubleshoot issues.
- Proficient in Microsoft and Google suite of applications.
- Basic understanding of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
- Willing to be flexible with hours depending on the needs of the organization, including out-of-state travel for programs.
- Familiarity with web development, particularly WordPress, and the Adobe suite of products is a plus.
- First aid training will be required (no active certification required to apply, but must be willing to be certified)
To apply: Please submit the following to Human Resources at HR@parktrust.org
- Cover letter explaining why you are interested in working at the National Park Trust, and what you hope to contribute to the position and organization.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. References will be required upon request.