Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park, GA
In 2012, National Park Trust assisted the Trust for Public Land in acquiring 42 acres of private property known as the Hayes Farm within Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.
The Park Trust funded the due diligence, which is the research into past ownership and environmental conditions to ensure accurate and valid deeds and an acceptable level of environmental quality. The transfer to the National Park Service added an important portion of the active battlefield to the park.
The Hayes Farm was in an area of rapid development; a 58-acre parcel of land adjacent to the farm could not be acquired and was subsequently purchased and developed into a 40-house subdivision. The land incorporated into the park was a section of Union Army lines during the battle, which still had remnant entrenchments, rifle pits, and cannon emplacements.
The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, from June 19, 1864, until July 2, 1864, was part of Union General William Sherman’s Atlanta campaign. Sherman’s superior force was stopped by the rugged terrain and Confederate troops holding the high ground. He suffered three times the casualties that the Confederate army did. Though his attack was stalled, he sent a force around the Confederate lines and made them retreat toward Atlanta.
Project Year: 2012
Parcel Size: 42 acres
Project Cost: $1.7 million
Long Term Significance:
- Preserved an important section of the battlefield itself, with archaeological features from the Union Army such as remnant Union entrenchments, rifle pits, and cannon emplacements.
- Hallowed ground was permanently protected in an area of heavy residential development.
Value to the Public:
- The battlefield, with its Civil War features, allows visitors a first-hand, on-site view of the battle, and an opportunity to connect more personally with the historic event.
- Additional acreage was made available for public access and enjoyment.