Salary: Approximately $20,000
Job Type: Part-time: 20 to 24 hours/per week
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Rockville, MD
Work Type: In office; this is not a remote or hybrid position.
About National Park Trust
National Park Trust’s mission is to preserve parks today and create park stewards for tomorrow. We work closely with the National Park Service to acquire privately owned lands to expand and complete our national parks. In addition, our Youth and Family Programs support our belief that our public parks, lands, and waters should be cared for, enjoyed by, and preserved by all for current and future generations.
We are looking for a dynamic and energetic Administrative Assistant to support the Park Trust’s rapidly growing programs and office operations. This new staff member will provide administrative support for the Executive Director (ED) and board of trustees, general support for the office, plus help to support a variety of programs, event logistics, communications, and fundraising efforts. This position is perfect for someone seeking to learn about nonprofit activities and operations.
Executive Director and Administrative support:
- Oversee the ED’s calendar, scheduling, and travel
- Schedule meetings and related logistics for the board, staff, and partners. This will include conference calls and in-person meetings
- Oversee distribution of incoming mail, and check general voicemail and the Park Trust’s general email accounts
- Support the Finance and Administration Coordinator on office services and maintenance including all vendor accounts, including equipment maintenance & office supply inventory
- Support the Youth and Family Programs staff in shipping/distributing of inventory to program partners
- Other duties as assigned by the ED
- Support, schedule, and coordinate all aspects of board meetings and calls working with the ED and Finance and Administration Coordinator to:
- Compile and distribute all meeting materials
- Take meeting minutes as needed
- Schedule and book lodging for all Board members and senior staff and other meeting travel for the ED
- Coordinate or organize logistics for board meetings, including meals and activities
- Facilitate review of vendor contracts working with ED and Director of Finance and Administration
- Assist in internal postal mailings for Development
- Support Development office in all fundraising events and activities
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum High School or Associate’s Degree with 1 or more years of non-profit experience in operations/administration or experience in general office work
- Passion for the Park Trust’s mission and vision
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Good communication skills (written, phone, and in-person). Written documents will include email communications to the board, staff, and partners
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail are a must!
- Ability to adhere to and enforce deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team or independently as needed
- Self-starter, ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Flexible and able to problem-solve
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel spreadsheets
- Proficient in Google Workspace and GSuite products
- Comfortable assisting with basic IT troubleshooting
- Willing to be flexible with hours depending on the needs of the organization
Due to work with youth and families:
- All staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID. National Park Trust provides reasonable accommodations for medical reasons and sincerely held religious beliefs consistent with legal requirements
- The candidate must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check
- Some physical exertion, including light outdoor activities
- Lifting items up to 25-40 lbs
- Valid driver’s license and access to a car
- Local travel may be required
- 401(k) plan with 5% company match
- Sick and safe leave, in accordance with Maryland state law
How to Apply
TO APPLY, PLEASE SUBMIT A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO HR@PARKTRUST.ORG (include Administrative Assistant in the subject line). Please address why you are qualified for this particular position in your cover letter.
The application will remain open until the position is filled.
National Park Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment. We seek diversity in thought, background, and experience among our staff, Board of Trustees, donors, and partners. Diversity within our organization informs our programming, strengthens our partnerships, and enables us to serve diverse stakeholders and communities effectively. National Park Trust follows all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding non-discriminatory hiring and employment practices. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.