“The Buddy” National Educator Award
The National Educator Award for Outstanding Environmental Stewardship, also known as “The Buddy”, recognizes an educator who has made a significant impact on his or her students’ understanding of the natural world and the importance of protecting our nation’s treasured parks.
- 2021-2022: Leslie Strahl – Learning Strategist at Hollingsworth Elementary School in Las Vegas, NV
- 2020-2021: Christopher Pike – 4th-grade teacher at Honaunau Elementary School in Captain Cook, HI
- 2019-2020: Heimy Salgado – Reading specialist at Ida B. Wells Middle School in Washington, DC
- 2018-2019: Yolanda Smith – 5th-grade teacher at Richmond Avenue School in Atlantic City, NJ
- 2017-2018: Chelsea Vines – 3rd-grade teacher at M. Agnes Jones Elementary in Atlanta, GA
- 2016-2017: Bobby Caballero and Rene Hayden in Washington, D.C.
- 2015-2016: Krista Gordon – Substitute teacher in Bellingham, WA
- 2014-2015: Stephen Biller – 5th-grade teacher at Beacon Heights Elementary School in Riverdale, MD
- 2013-2014: Pam Alexandroff – 5th-grade teacher at Jose de Diego Community Academy in Chicago, IL
- 2011-2012: Anne Porterfield – Reading teacher at St. Ignatius Loyola Academy in Baltimore, MD
- 2009-2010: Carolyn Cohen – 3rd grade teacher at the Bullis School in Potomac, MD